Gastric banding: Is This a Safe Alternative to Lipo?
Gastric banding (also known as lap band) is a weight loss and body contouring procedure that is becoming increasingly popular as liposuction alternative. You should consider gastric banding if in addition to stubborn fat deposits in those notorious areas, you what to get rid of extra pounds without strict diets or enduring exercises. Originally, gastric banding was invented as an alternative to the risky and highly invasive gastric by-pass surgery, and is actually a variation of a bariatric surgery which is used to treat excess body weight.
How gastric banding works
The basic working principle of gastric banding procedure is the same as with gastric by-pass: diminishing the stomach capacity. However, a different method is used. Gastric banding controls your stomach size by the means of the inflatable silicone gastric band, which makes your feel full faster and eliminates hunger and all associated problems, such as low energy, poor concentration, depression, irritability, etc. Gastric band is applied around the upper part of the stomach, creating a pouch approximately 1/2 cup size, while a typical stomach is 6 cups size. Food fill the pouch very quickly and the then slowly goes to the lower part of the stomach because of the narrow passage. It works in the manner of hourglass. With the gastric banding it takes longer for the stomach to empty. Thus, gastric banding reduces appetite not just by limiting limits food intake but also by slowing and slowing digestion.
The band is applied through 3 small incisions up to 1 cm each, which leave almost no visible scars afterwards (that’s why the full name for the procedure is laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding). This method is less invasive, leaves your stomach intact and is better manageable than both gastric by-pass and even liposuction. Band size may be adjusted several times for the best effects by the means of saline solution injected into a specialized access port inserted under the skin.
Advantages of gastric banding
- Although gastric banding is a surgery, is carries less risks and complications than liposuction or other bariatric surgeries, virtually no pain and the downtime is significantly shorter.
- Gastric banding gastric banding surgery has another indisputable advantage: you start to eat healthy immediately and without efforts. You eat less but still enjoy life and don’t feel deprived, depressed or hungry like when dieting.
- No malabsorption issues (unlike with other bariatric surgeries) because gastric banding does not involve cutting or re-routing intestines or stomach, which means that they can absorb and digest all the same nutrients as before.
- No hunger. Today, you have too many things to rebut and you don’t want hunger to be one of these aggressors.
- Your stomach capacity and hunger can be controlled
- Once the banding is installed, your stomach capacity can be increased or decreased when necessary without any invasions.
- Gastric band is removable
- Gastric banding is successfully used as a part of complex treatment and prevention for other severe health conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, GERD
- Losing weight gradually and naturally prevents unsightly loose skin folds
Gastric banding cost
Gastric banding cost varies depending on the clinic location and the surgeon’s qualification and experience. On the average, gastric banding surgery cost will be around $5000. However, a real and pleasant deduction from gastric banding cost from is the money you can save on food, which you will buy is smaller quantities after the procedure, as well as spa, gym and the coach, body correction garments - you may continue the list!